Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Currently reading...

Sitting at work today I realized something.  I am currently reading 3 books and I couldn't decide which  one to pick up and read.  This made me smile.  I love books.  I used to read like nobody's business.  I mean, I was ALWAYS reading.  Now I never read.  Largely because the past 2 1/2 years have been consumed by a baby girl and every time I have a moment to myself I fall asleep.  Or the past 10 months or so, spend it with Kyle.

I have missed reading.  I need it in my life.  I feel like a better person when I read.  Reading also makes me want to write.  Reading beautifully written words that mold my thoughts and my actions makes me want to do the same for someone else.

These are the three books that I am having to choose from:


Catching Fire.  By Suzanne Collins.  The second book of The Hunger Games games.  If you've read this trilogy you know that they are practically impossible to put down and you're probably wondering why it's even a question whether I should be reading this one or not.


The Giver.  By Lois Lowry.  I first read this book years and years ago in school.  In fact, I believe our teacher read it to us and we had a copy that we followed along on our own.  This book changed me.  I have read it approximately 10 times and I still want to read it about once a year.  And even though I have read it so many times, I still want to pick it up and continue reading it.  (Even when Catching Fire is sitting right next to it.)  If you have not read this Newbery Award winning classic, pick it up.  You won't regret it.  I recently bought a copy for my boss.  The text I got about it said this, "The Giver was amazing!  Thanks!  Kids need books like this."  (Two exclamation points in that text.  This from a guy that I never see use exclamation points.)

Believing Christ.  By Stephen E. Robinson.  This book is assigned reading from my bishop.  This one I have a hard time reading at work because every time I pick it up, within minutes, I have tears streaming down my cheeks.  I highly recommend it to everyone.  Especially those who feel they are lacking on the spiritual side or struggling with their self-worth when it comes to the gospel.  
"The good news of the gospel is good news to me not because it promises that other people who are better than I can be saved, but because it promises that I can be saved--wretched, inadequate, and imperfect me.  And until I accept that possibility,... I have not really accepted the good news of the gospel."
"I am particularly fond of the way the Lord says this in Isaiah 1:18:  "Come now, let us reason together, saith the Lord:  though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."  I would like to expand upon this scripture just a little bit to make sure the significance of it doesn't get past us.  What the Lord is saying here is this:  "It doesn't matter what you did.  Whatever it was, no matter how horrible or vile, is not the issue.  The issue here is that whatever you sin was or is, I can erase it, I can clean you up and make you innocent, pure, and worthy, and I can do it today; I can do it now."


What books are you currently reading?

2 comments:

  1. You are right, I don't understand how you could put Catching Fire down! I don't know if I've ever read books as quickly as the Hunger Games series. I'm reading The Hobbit right now. -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading too. You should get on goodreads.com and be my friend so we can compare books. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete