Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 13.

Day 13 – Your favorite musician and why?
Bright Eyes
My favorite band is Bright Eyes.

I was introduced to Bright Eyes some time in High School and it was a life changing experience for me.  Like millions of others, I am greatly influenced by music.  It speaks to me and allows me to express emotions in ways that I normally would not.  Believe it or not, I am extremely shy, to the point of always having awkward social encounters, and don't even get me started on trying to explain how I feel to someone.  Holy awkward.  Insert music here.

Why do I love Bright Eyes, you may ask?  The emotion.  The raw feeling.  The sheer lyrical genius.  The instruments!  The melodies.  The stories.  All of these things combined created something like I had never heard before.  Something that became a part of me. 

I have what I like to call a "Story Book Mind".  My inner dialogue is greatly affected by the things that I read and by the music I listen to.  I am constantly repeating lyrics in my head that describe or compliment the situation that I'm in.  For example, this morning I "checked in" at Stevens-Henager College, my place of work, on my facebook mobile app.  The words that I added?  "You've gotta earn this living somehow, you're good as dead without a bank account."  Those lyrics were running through my head over and over as I was transitioning from "Sleepy Tonja" to "Perky Receptionist Tonja."  Where do these words come from?  The song Light Polution by Bright Eyes, of course.

There are Bright Eyes songs that make me cry, songs that make me smile, songs that make me dance, songs that remind me of best friends, songs that I quote on my blog header, songs that are my current ringtone, songs that changed my life...  And each of the songs I just linked are on a different Bright Eyes album.  Every album has a different sound, a different feel, and a different way of speaking to me.  But they all speak to me.  Really, really speak to me.

Yes, Bright Eyes is my favorite band.

No comments:

Post a Comment